You are here
Teach In: Reclaiming Our Economy
Open to Everyone — Join the Conversation!
The purpose of the Teach In is to educate and enlighten about the state of the economy, its impact on individuals and households, the reasons for the long duration of the current Great Recession, and to provide ideas about what can be done to speed economic recovery and enhance economic and social justice.
The Teach In is intended for community members of all ages and walks of life.
The Teach In is being planned by a growing group — initially made up of Northeastern faculty and students — along with partners from the community and other campuses. Faculty and student speakers are being invited from a number of universities and colleges around Boston. Speakers will also include political, civic, community, business and labor leaders.
We invite you to come for the entire day or for portions of it if you cannot stay for the entire day. In addition, we will be live streaming the event.
9:00 The economy: where are we now?
10:45 Who’s the system failing? Who’s it working for?
12:30 Politics and economics: what went wrong?
2:15 What can be done? Reclaiming our economy and our democracy.
Moderated by Professors Barry Bluestone and Michael Dukakis
Confirmed Speakers (so far)
- Noah Berger | Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center
- Barry Bluestone | Dean, School of Public Policy & Urban Affairs, Northeastern U.
- Lisbeth Cohen | Dean, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Studies, Harvard
- Chuck Collins | Senior Scholar, Institute for Policy Studies
- Joe Curtatone | Mayor, City of Somerville
- Bill Dickens | Professor, Department of Economics, Northeastern University
- Michael Dukakis | Distinguished Professor, Northeastern University
- Kathryn Edin | Department of Sociology, Harvard University
- Tim Ferguson | Chair & Managing Partner, Next Street Financial
- Bob Gittens | Vice-President for Community Affairs, Northeastern University
- James Hackney | Professor of Law, Northeastern University
- Tito Jackson | Boston City Council Member
- Charlotte Kahn | Director, Boston Indicators - The Boston Foundation
- Karl Klare | Professor of Law, Northeastern University
- Robert Kuttner | Co-Editor, The American Prospect
- John Kwoka | Professor, Department of Economics, Northeastern University
- Joe McLaughlin | Senior Researcher, Center for Labor Market Studies, Northeastern U.
- Steve Nathanson | Professor, Philosophy Department, Northeastern University
- Victoria Porrell | Student, Northeastern University
- Mike Ross | Boston City Council Member
- Thomas Shapiro | Professor of Sociology, Heller School, Brandeis University
- Sen. Dan Wolf | Massachusetts State Senate; CEO, Cape Air Airlines
- Zoe Wolf | Senior, Northeastern University
For updates click here