Urgent Action Alert
Call the Chairs of the Joint Conference Committee
Last week, people concerned about immigrant rights won a big victory when Governor Patrick said No to Secure Communities, a program which has unfairly deported large numbers of immigrants. But hostile Senators have attached anti-immigrant, anti-worker, and anti-family amendments to the Senate version of the state budget. The budget is now in conference and we must let the chairs of that committee know that these outrageous amendments are unacceptable.
These provisions include:
· Establishing an anonymous hotline to report undocumented workers to the Attorney General’s Office
· Requiring beneficiaries of all state medical benefits including emergency Medicaid, to prove their lawful residency
· Increased penalties for driving without a license
· Banning In-State tuition to undocumented students
· Requiring proof of legal residency for all family members residing in public housing
"Good morning / afternoon. My name is______. I am a member of (union, organization, congregation)_____. I live in city/town)__________. I'm calling to express my outrage at the anti-immigrant budget amendments approved by the Senate and to urge the conference committee to reject all the anti-immigrant amendments in the Senate 122.1 budget. The provisions are anti-family, anti-worker, and racist."â€¨
- Conference Committee chairs Senator Stephen Brewer (617) 722-1540; & Representative Brian Dempsey (617) 722-2990
- Senate President Therese Murray 617-722-1500
- Your local legislators: http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php.